These guidelines are based on a combination of vast professional experience, common sense, research, and extensive clinical practice. This is not to be considered a substitute for medical advice from a doctor. If you suspect an infection, seek medical attention. Keep in mind that the removal of jewelry can lead to further complications. Be aware that many doctors have not received specific training regarding piercing. Your piercer may be able to refer you to a piercing friendly medical professional.
Living Canvas Piercing Aftercare Instructions
- Do expect your new piercing to be a little swollen, tender, and slightly bloody for the first 2 weeks. It will also get a little “crusty” between cleanings.
- Do wash your hands before you clean your piercing.
- Do use a clean Q-tip soaked with saline solution to remove “crusties” from piercing, or use the inverted cup of saline method described to you by your piercer..
- Do clean your new piercing 3 times a day with a sterile saline solution such as Wound Wash Saline.
- Do ice your new piercing 3-5 times a day for 20 minutes at a time. Especially oral piercings.
- Do check the tightness of the balls on your barbells, circular barbells, & posts once a day. Righty tighty/lefty loosey.
- Do rinse your piercing off in the shower with tap water to remove all soap/chemical residues.
- Do feel free to stop by our shop and let us know how your piercing is progressing or if you feel it is having any problems.
The Do Not’s
- Do not use chemicals of any type, peroxide, alcohol, Neosporin, Bacitracin, Bactine or anything else that was not recommended by us.
- Do not play with, touch, or rotate the jewelry for any reason during the healing process. It does not require this to heal properly and it will take much longer to heal. Including your ear piercings.
- Do not take advice on aftercare from any of your friends or family. They may mean well, but do not do this for a living.
- Do not replace, change, or take your jewelry out for the first 8 weeks. If it is a nipple piercing or cartilage piercing (ear, nostril) wait 12 weeks. You will not be able to put the jewelry back in by yourself.
- Do not submerge your piercing in a swimming pool, hot tub, or a natural body of water for two weeks. (especially the Lake of the Ozarks) Shower instead of bathing in a tub for two weeks.
- Do not pick the “crusties” off with your fingers.
- Do not click, slide, suck on, or “play with” your new tongue/lip piercing.
- Do not use mouthwash for oral piercings more than what’s recommended on the bottles instructions, this should not exceed two times per day. We recommend you use Crest Pro Health. If you choose to use another brand it should be alcohol free mouth wash.
- Do not put make-up, lotions, chemicals, tanning lotion, sun screen, self tanner, bodily fluids, or any thing else that was not recommended by us on or near your piercing for the first two weeks.
- Do not hesitate to call, e-mail, or come by the shop if you have a question, problem, compliment or complaint. We are always ready to assist you.